Survival Forum
If you have not yet registered,please do! You will receive so many great features by joining up. If you have then please log in and get posting!
Survival Forum
If you have not yet registered,please do! You will receive so many great features by joining up. If you have then please log in and get posting!
Survival Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your number 1 forum for survival!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Cold Waves

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Steven K
Administrator
Administrator
Steven K

Coins : 4919
Location : North Yorkshire,England,United Kingdom,Europe,Earth

Cold Waves Empty
PostSubject: Cold Waves   Cold Waves I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 7:55 am

Cold Waves
A cold wave is a weather phenomenon that is distinguished by a cooling of the air. Specifically, as used by the U.S. National Weather Service, a cold wave is a rapid fall in temperature within a 24 hour period requiring substantially increased protection to agriculture, industry, commerce, and social activities. The precise criterion for a cold wave is determined by the rate at which the temperature falls, and the minimum to which it falls. This minimum temperature is dependent on the geographical region and time of year. Cold waves generally are capable of occurring any geological location and are formed by large cool air masses that accumulate over certain regions, caused by movements of air streams.
A cold wave can cause death and injury to livestock and wildlife. Exposure to cold mandates greater caloric intake for all animals, including humans, and if a cold wave is accompanied by heavy and persistent snow, grazing animals may be unable to reach necessary food and water, and die of hypothermia or starvation. Cold waves often necessitate the purchase of fodder for livestock at considerable cost to farmers. Human populations can be inflicted with frostbites when exposed for extended periods of time to cold and may result in the loss of limbs or damage to internal organs.
Extreme winter cold often causes poorly insulated water pipes to freeze. Even some poorly-protected indoor plumbing may rupture as frozen water expands within them, causing property damage. Fires, paradoxically, become more hazardous during extreme cold. Water mains may break and water supplies may become unreliable, making firefighting more difficult.
Cold waves that bring unexpected freezes and frosts during the growing season in mid-latitude zones can kill plants during the early and most vulnerable stages of growth. This results in crop failure as plants are killed before they can be harvested economically. Such cold waves have caused famines. Cold waves can also cause soil particles to harden and freeze, making it harder for plants and vegetation to grow within these areas. One extreme was the so-called Year Without a Summer of 1816, one of several years during the 1810s in which numerous crops failed during freakish summer cold snaps after volcanic eruptions reduced incoming sunlight and the temperature of the Earth's core.

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_weather
Back to top Go down
http://advertisingmania.org
Juno
Member(40-49 Posts)
Member(40-49 Posts)

Coins : 4940

Cold Waves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold Waves   Cold Waves I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 10:38 am

Never knew it was called a cold wave.
Back to top Go down
JibJabbed
Member(40-49 Posts)
Member(40-49 Posts)

Coins : 4914

Cold Waves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold Waves   Cold Waves I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 8:11 am

I hate the cold.
Back to top Go down
Steven K
Administrator
Administrator
Steven K

Coins : 4919
Location : North Yorkshire,England,United Kingdom,Europe,Earth

Cold Waves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold Waves   Cold Waves I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 10:30 am

Yes I also hate the cold.
Back to top Go down
http://advertisingmania.org
Sponsored content

Cold Waves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold Waves   Cold Waves I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cold Waves
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Survival Forum :: Survival Articles :: Extreme Weather-
Jump to: