Survival Forum
If you have not yet registered,please do! You will receive so many great features by joining up. If you have then please log in and get posting!
Survival Forum
If you have not yet registered,please do! You will receive so many great features by joining up. If you have then please log in and get posting!
Survival Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your number 1 forum for survival!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Heatwaves

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Steven K
Administrator
Administrator
Steven K

Coins : 4960
Location : North Yorkshire,England,United Kingdom,Europe,Earth

Heatwaves Empty
PostSubject: Heatwaves   Heatwaves I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 7:54 am

Heatwaves
Heat waves can often have severe effects upon the landscape, causing famine, destruction of vegetation, and possible deaths to livestock and wildlife.
Heat waves are long periods of abnormally high temperatures. There is generally no universal definition of a heatwave because of the variation within temperatures are different in geographic locations.[3] Along with the excessive heat, they are often accompanied by high levels of humidity. These two characteristics increase the relative temperature or heat index to dangerous levels.
Because heatwaves are not visible as other forms of severe weather are, like hurricanes, tornadoes, and thunderstorms, they are one of the less known forms of extreme weather. This severe weather phenomena can damage populations and crops due potential dehydration or hyperthermia. Heat cramps, heat expansion, heat stroke, and dehydration can result in human populations. The dried soil are more susceptible to erosion, decreasing lands available for agriculture. Outbreaks of wildfires can increase in frequency as dry vegetation has increased likeliness of igniting. The evaporation of bodies of water can be devastating to marine populations, decreasing the size of the habitats available as well as amount of nutrition presented within the waters. Livestock and other animal populations may decline as well. Power outages can also occur within areas experiencing heatwaves due to the increased demand for electricity[citation needed]. The urban heat island effect can increase temperatures even more, particularly overnight.

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_weather
Back to top Go down
http://advertisingmania.org
Juno
Member(40-49 Posts)
Member(40-49 Posts)

Coins : 4981

Heatwaves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heatwaves   Heatwaves I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 10:38 am

Yes. I've been in minor heat waves.
Back to top Go down